Tuscanypass.com
You are here: home » sights and leisure » attractions » all attractions

Pisa Attractions

Abbey of San Zeno

Abbey of San Zeno

The Abbey of San Zeno is characterized by a superimposition of architectural styles and trends which is particularly evident in the façade
Archaeology Antiquarium

Archaeology Antiquarium

It is an University Museum, composed by a heterogeneous collection of some 1500 original artefacts accompanied in most cases by generic information about their origin
Archiepiscopal Archives

Archiepiscopal Archives

The archives were recovered in November 2001 and are currently managed by Don Nieri
Art Collection of the Cassa di Risparmio di Pisa

Art Collection of the Cassa di Risparmio di Pisa

It preserves works of art which are linked to the cultural and artistic life of Pisa
Basilica of San Piero a Grado

Basilica of San Piero a Grado

Charming example of the Pisan Romanesque style, built of tuffaceous stone and white marble obtained from Roman remains, the church is characterized by two sets of apses, with three apses facing east and one west
Battistero - Pisa

Battistero - Pisa

Surrounded by columned arcades, is made of white marble inlaid with grey bands. The carvings on the main portal, framed by columns with floral patterns, and the arcaded gallery echo the Cathedral
Botanical Garden

Botanical Garden

The Botanical Garden of the University of Pisa was founded in 1543 by the illustrious Pisan physician and botanist Luca Ghini
Botanical Museum

Botanical Museum

Today the museum preserves plant collections relating to the research work conducted by scientists over the centuries
Cattedrale - Pisa

Cattedrale - Pisa

A wonderful monument, famous all over the world to be the background and foreground of the Leaning Tower
Chiesa di San Francesco - Volterra

Chiesa di San Francesco - Volterra

The coats of arms of the city is the only decoration on the simple stone façade of the Church
Chiesa di San Girolamo - Volterra

Chiesa di San Girolamo - Volterra

The church os S. Girolamo and the convent were built in 1445 by Michelozzi
Chiesa di San Giusto - Volterra

Chiesa di San Giusto - Volterra

The Church of San Giusto was designed in 1627 by the Florentine architect Giovanni Coccapani and consecrated in 1775
Chiesa di San Lino - Volterra

Chiesa di San Lino - Volterra

This simple convent church with a single nave was built on Raffaello Maffei's request
Chiesa di San Michele - Volterra

Chiesa di San Michele - Volterra

The actual building, of the 13th century, has a romaesque façade that wears the Farnese Family coats of arms
Chiesa di Sant'Alessandro - Volterra

Chiesa di Sant'Alessandro - Volterra

The church is very old, an it is believed that was consecreted in 1220 by Pope Callisto II
Chiesa di Santa Maria - Palaia

Chiesa di Santa Maria - Palaia

St Mary’s Church is built of terracotta bricks in a very simple style
Chiesa di Sant’Andrea - Palaia

Chiesa di Sant’Andrea - Palaia

St. Andrew’s Church, was begun in the 11th century but its façade and bell tower were built in Romanesque style between the 12th and 15th century
Church of Maria Maddalena

Church of Maria Maddalena

Construction dates from the 12th century, but the church was completely restored in the 18th century but half destroyed by bombings during World War II
Church of San Domenico

Church of San Domenico

The church was part of a convent of Dominican nuns. Both were built in 1395 and donated by Pietro Gambacorti, Prince of Pisa, to his daughter Chiara, whose bones were discovered by the high altar
Church of San Francesco

Church of San Francesco

The church has recently been the object of public attention for the opening of the purported tomb of Count Ugolino
Church of San Giorgio degli Innocenti

Church of San Giorgio degli Innocenti

The building has been restored in the Romanesque style. The interior preserves a crucifix of the German school and a few oval canvases by Ceuli
Church of San Martino in Chinzica

Church of San Martino in Chinzica

It was founded in 1332 by Bonifacio della Gherardesca
Church of San Matteo in Soarta

Church of San Matteo in Soarta

It represents one of the most charming and classic examples of 17th-century architecture
Church of San Michele degli Scalzi

Church of San Michele degli Scalzi

The church is located by the Viale delle Piagge
Church of San Michele in Borgo

Church of San Michele in Borgo

This little church is situated on the north bank of the Arno
Church of San Nicola

Church of San Nicola

It has a two-colour marble façade with polychrome inlays derived from the Pisan Romanesque style
Church of San Paolo a Ripa d'Arno

Church of San Paolo a Ripa d'Arno

It's located in the south-west of the old town near the south bank of the Arno
Church of San Pietro in Vinculis (San Pierino)

Church of San Pietro in Vinculis (San Pierino)

It is located near the Piazza della Berlina.
Church of San Ranierino

Church of San Ranierino

The small church, located near the Piazza del Duomo, originally stood at the southeast corner of the Field of Miracles with the façade facing west
Church of San Silvestro

Church of San Silvestro

The church was founded in the 12th century. In 1118 it was granted to Benedictine monks, and in 1331 to Dominican nuns
Church of San Sisto in Cortevecchia

Church of San Sisto in Cortevecchia

The church is the venue for the celebration of ''Lo die di Santo Sisto'', a memorable date in Pisan history
Church of San Torpè

Church of San Torpè

It is located in front of the Roman ruins known as
Church of San Vito

Church of San Vito

It has been rebuilt in the same spot as the old building destroyed by bombing, which in turn had replaced an older and larger church demolished in the late 18th century during work carried out on the river embankments
Church of Sant'Anna

Church of Sant'Anna

The church and the convent were erected in 1406 for a community of Benedictine nuns
Church of Sant'Antonio

Church of Sant'Antonio

It was founded in the early 13th century: its façade has recently been restored
Church of Santa Apollonia

Church of Santa Apollonia

The façade of this church was restored in October 2001
Church of Santa Caterina d'Alessandria

Church of Santa Caterina d'Alessandria

Catherine of Alexandria, the name of the girl that gave her name to the church, was a young girl who suffered martyrdom during persecutions by Maxentius, in the early 4th century
Church of Santa Cecilia

Church of Santa Cecilia

It was founded by Camaldolese monks in the early 12th century
Church of Santa Chiara

Church of Santa Chiara

The present church, adjoining Santa Chiara Hospital, was built in 1784 after the demolition of the original 13th-century building
Church of Santa Cristina

Church of Santa Cristina

Ii is a Romanesque church dating from the 11th century, as is attested by the small blind arches decorating the outside of the apse
Church of Santa Croce in Fossabanda

Church of Santa Croce in Fossabanda

In 2000 the church-monastery was converted into a hotel owned by the Commune of Pisa and run by the Fondazione Toniolo. The church is located near the Convention Centre
Church of Santa Maria del Carmine

Church of Santa Maria del Carmine

The church is located alongside Corso Italia, the main street of the city
Church of Santa Maria della Spina

Church of Santa Maria della Spina

The church is situated on the left bank of the Arno to the west of the Palazzo Gambacorti, and perhaps is one of the best-known of the smaller churches of Pisa
Church of Santa Marta

Church of Santa Marta

It was formerly known as Church of Santa Viviana in Suarta, from the name of the old quarter where it was located
Church of Santo Sepolcro

Church of Santo Sepolcro

Around the middle of the 12th century the architect Diotisalvi erected this octagonal monument for the Order of the Hospital of St. John
Church of Santo Stefano dei Cavalieri

Church of Santo Stefano dei Cavalieri

It was officiated on 7 July 1562: the interior preserves mementos, flags and lights taken away from Turkish and pirate ships during the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries
Church of SS Jacopo e Filippo in Orticaia

Church of SS Jacopo e Filippo in Orticaia

The Romanesque church dates from the 12th century but has been altered on several occasions
Church of the Madonna dei Galletti

Church of the Madonna dei Galletti

The present church was already in existence in the 13th century, but was rebuilt in the 18th century in the baroque style
Cittadella's Tower

Cittadella's Tower

The tall Torre Guelfa is located in one of the most charming areas of Pisa, the Cittadella Vecchia
Contemporary Art Collection of the Teseco Foundation

Contemporary Art Collection of the Teseco Foundation

The collection is housed in the administrative offices of the Teseco factory, in Pisa's industrial park
Domus Galilaeana

Domus Galilaeana

The Domus houses a rich library and preserves manuscripts of Galileo and other physicists such as Enrico Fermi and Antonio Pacinotti
Domus Mazziniana

Domus Mazziniana

The Domus Mazziniana is meant to aid scholars in their studies about the history of the Risorgimento
Duomo - Volterra

Duomo - Volterra

The cathedral dedicated to the Assumption Mary was reconstructed in about 1120 on the site of a preexisting church dedicated to the Holy Mary
Ecomuseo dell’Alabastro - Volterra

Ecomuseo dell’Alabastro - Volterra

The Alabaster Ecomuseum is an environmental museum that tells the story of an ancient craft specific to Volterra
Egyptological Collections

Egyptological Collections

The museum houses the following collections: Schiff Giorgini Collection, Oxyrhynchus Ostraka, Picozzi Collection
Fortezza Medicea - Volterra

Fortezza Medicea - Volterra

From its commanding hilltop position the enormous Medici Fortress looks out over Volterra and the surrounding countryside
Gaetani, or Verga d'Oro Tower House

Gaetani, or Verga d'Oro Tower House

The tower that adjoins the Palazzo Reale, standing on the corner of the Via Santa Maria and the Via San Nicola, is an integral part of the Artistic Heritage Commission Building
Hotel Victoria Tower House

Hotel Victoria Tower House

The tower rising at the back of Hotel Victoria is only visible from the inner courtyard of the hotel
La Rocca - Palaia

La Rocca - Palaia

This is the highest point of the town, an probably was the site of the Monsmagnifridum Castle mentioned in a document in 936
Lanfreducci Tower House

Lanfreducci Tower House

The building currently houses the Chancellorship of Pisa University, which took care of its restoration after World War II
Leaning Tower of Pisa

Leaning Tower of Pisa

One of the world famous monuments of Piazza dei Miracoli
Medieval ramparts

Medieval ramparts

Pisa, as a medieval city, is surrounded by medieval ramparts
Mura Medievali e Fonti - Volterra

Mura Medievali e Fonti - Volterra

The Medieval wall was built in the 13th century
Museo dell'Opera del Duomo

Museo dell'Opera del Duomo

Inaugurated in 1986, the museum shows typical Pisan art and, in particular, of the Pisan Medieval sculptures which belonged to the buildings of the Square
Museo della civiltà Contadina - Montefoscoli

Museo della civiltà Contadina - Montefoscoli

The Museum of peasant civilization is placed into a house of the xvi century and shows several pieces of Tuscan civilization since the end of ‘700
Museo delle Sinopie

Museo delle Sinopie

Remarkable example of Medieval graphics, the sinopias are conserved in the Museum in Piazza dei Miracoli
Museo di Arte Sacra - Volterra

Museo di Arte Sacra - Volterra

Museum of Sacred Art is housed in the ancient canon’s house, today known as the Bishop’s Palace
Museo Etrusco Guarnacci - Volterra

Museo Etrusco Guarnacci - Volterra

The Etruscan Guarnacci Museum is one of the earliest public museums in Europe
Museum of Human Anatomy

Museum of Human Anatomy

It is housed in the Medical School of Pisa, in the Human Anatomy Division of the Department of Human Morphology and Applied Biology
Museum of Human and Pathological Anatomy

Museum of Human and Pathological Anatomy

It is an integral part of the Medical School of Pisa University
Museum of the Cathedral

Museum of the Cathedral

The two-storey 13th-century building preserves important works from the monuments in the Field of Miracles
Museum of the Order of the Knights of St. Stephen

Museum of the Order of the Knights of St. Stephen

The museum houses collections of maritime emblems, the model of a galley, nautical instruments, logbooks and uniforms of the Order
National Museum of Palazzo Reale

National Museum of Palazzo Reale

The palace was built in the latter half of the 16th century to a design by Buontalenti. It was the seat of the Medicean court during the winter, since Pisa served as the second capital of the Tuscan Grand Duchy
National Museum of San Matteo

National Museum of San Matteo

It houses monographic collections on medieval ceramics, Pisan painting in the 12th and 13th centuries and to painting and sculpture in the 14th and 15th centuries
Necropoli - Volterra

Necropoli - Volterra

The Etruscan tombs in Volterra are relatively simple as compared to the tombs in Tarquinia, Cerveteri, Chiusi and Populonia, rich in paintings and sculptures
Palazzo dei Priori - Volterra

Palazzo dei Priori - Volterra

The most ancient palace in the Piazza dei Priori is the Palazzo dei Priori, the present day Town Hall
Palazzo dell'Orologio - Clock Tower

Palazzo dell'Orologio - Clock Tower

Its actual structure is the result of transformations which took place since the middle ages up to nowadays
Palazzo Incontri-Viti - Volterra

Palazzo Incontri-Viti - Volterra

The Palazzo Viti in Volterra is one of the most beautiful private residences of Italy
Palazzo Minucci Solaini - Volterra

Palazzo Minucci Solaini - Volterra

The palazzo houses an extroadinary collection of local paintings and sculptures
Palazzo Pretorio - Volterra

Palazzo Pretorio - Volterra

The Palazzo Pretorio was modified in the 19th century and made up of several buildings
Palazzo Vescovile - Volterra

Palazzo Vescovile - Volterra

It was originally built as a grain store and then became the bishop's residence after 1472
Paleoethnological and Paleontological Collections

Paleoethnological and Paleontological Collections

The collection comprises artefacts made of ceramic, flint, dressed stone, obsidian, bone and metal dating from the Lower Palaeolithic to the Iron Age
Piazza dei Cavalieri

Piazza dei Cavalieri

In the square's centre can be seen a fountain beneath the statue of Cosimo I in the robes of Grand Master of the Order of Knights
Piazza del Duomo

Piazza del Duomo

The appearance of the Piazza del Duomo that we know today is the last step in a process that started in the XVI century but its origin as a monumental complex and public space date back to the Medieval Ages
Pieve di San Martino - Palaia

Pieve di San Martino - Palaia

St. Martin’s church, currently being restored lies on the outskirts of the town on via della Pieve
Pinacoteca e Museo Civico - Volterra

Pinacoteca e Museo Civico - Volterra

The Art Gallery and Civic Museum are located inside the Palazzo Minucci-Solaini, a splendid example of late-15th century architecture traditionally attributed to Antonio San Gallo the Elder
Porta civica and torre dell’Orologio - Palaia

Porta civica and torre dell’Orologio - Palaia

The civic tower and clock tower, known in 1500 as the Arco del Podestà, was transformed into a clock tower after 1655
Porta Fiorentina - Palaia

Porta Fiorentina - Palaia

The 12th century gatehouse is the most attractive entrance to the old town
Prints and Drawings Collection

Prints and Drawings Collection

It is a public collection of contemporary graphics containing over 8,000 works on paper
Scotto Garden

Scotto Garden

It is situated inside the Fortezza Nuova
Teatro Romano - Volterra

Teatro Romano - Volterra

The construction of the Roman theatre began at the beginning of the 1st century B.C.
The Buonparenti House Towers

The Buonparenti House Towers

It is one of the most evocative corners of Volterra
The Monumental Churchyard

The Monumental Churchyard

Completed in 1464 it has been for centuries the graveyard of the noble and eminent citizens
The Toscano House-Tower

The Toscano House-Tower

Group of towers located in Piazza San Michele and constructed in 1250 by Giovanni Toscano
The tower of Santa Maria

The tower of Santa Maria

It was of fundamental strategic importance, controlling the entrance to the bridge below
Tower of Santa Maria and Parapet Walk

Tower of Santa Maria and Parapet Walk

It stands on the north-western corner of the medieval ramparts

Where

province, city, location

Check-in Date, Check-out Date

Accommodation in Pisa
Eating Out in Pisa
DOG ADV LTD - VAT: GB178644759 - Company Number: 8733435