Tuscanypass.com
You are here: home » sights and leisure » attractions » churches

Churches in Pisa

Abbey of San Zeno

Abbey of San Zeno

The Abbey of San Zeno is characterized by a superimposition of architectural styles and trends which is particularly evident in the façade
Basilica of San Piero a Grado

Basilica of San Piero a Grado

Charming example of the Pisan Romanesque style, built of tuffaceous stone and white marble obtained from Roman remains, the church is characterized by two sets of apses, with three apses facing east and one west
Battistero - Pisa

Battistero - Pisa

Surrounded by columned arcades, is made of white marble inlaid with grey bands. The carvings on the main portal, framed by columns with floral patterns, and the arcaded gallery echo the Cathedral
Cattedrale - Pisa

Cattedrale - Pisa

A wonderful monument, famous all over the world to be the background and foreground of the Leaning Tower
Chiesa di San Francesco - Volterra

Chiesa di San Francesco - Volterra

The coats of arms of the city is the only decoration on the simple stone façade of the Church
Chiesa di San Girolamo - Volterra

Chiesa di San Girolamo - Volterra

The church os S. Girolamo and the convent were built in 1445 by Michelozzi
Chiesa di San Giusto - Volterra

Chiesa di San Giusto - Volterra

The Church of San Giusto was designed in 1627 by the Florentine architect Giovanni Coccapani and consecrated in 1775
Chiesa di San Lino - Volterra

Chiesa di San Lino - Volterra

This simple convent church with a single nave was built on Raffaello Maffei's request
Chiesa di San Michele - Volterra

Chiesa di San Michele - Volterra

The actual building, of the 13th century, has a romaesque façade that wears the Farnese Family coats of arms
Chiesa di Sant'Alessandro - Volterra

Chiesa di Sant'Alessandro - Volterra

The church is very old, an it is believed that was consecreted in 1220 by Pope Callisto II
Chiesa di Santa Maria - Palaia

Chiesa di Santa Maria - Palaia

St Mary’s Church is built of terracotta bricks in a very simple style
Chiesa di Sant’Andrea - Palaia

Chiesa di Sant’Andrea - Palaia

St. Andrew’s Church, was begun in the 11th century but its façade and bell tower were built in Romanesque style between the 12th and 15th century
Church of Maria Maddalena

Church of Maria Maddalena

Construction dates from the 12th century, but the church was completely restored in the 18th century but half destroyed by bombings during World War II
Church of San Domenico

Church of San Domenico

The church was part of a convent of Dominican nuns. Both were built in 1395 and donated by Pietro Gambacorti, Prince of Pisa, to his daughter Chiara, whose bones were discovered by the high altar
Church of San Francesco

Church of San Francesco

The church has recently been the object of public attention for the opening of the purported tomb of Count Ugolino
Church of San Giorgio degli Innocenti

Church of San Giorgio degli Innocenti

The building has been restored in the Romanesque style. The interior preserves a crucifix of the German school and a few oval canvases by Ceuli
Church of San Martino in Chinzica

Church of San Martino in Chinzica

It was founded in 1332 by Bonifacio della Gherardesca
Church of San Matteo in Soarta

Church of San Matteo in Soarta

It represents one of the most charming and classic examples of 17th-century architecture
Church of San Michele degli Scalzi

Church of San Michele degli Scalzi

The church is located by the Viale delle Piagge
Church of San Michele in Borgo

Church of San Michele in Borgo

This little church is situated on the north bank of the Arno
Church of San Nicola

Church of San Nicola

It has a two-colour marble façade with polychrome inlays derived from the Pisan Romanesque style
Church of San Paolo a Ripa d'Arno

Church of San Paolo a Ripa d'Arno

It's located in the south-west of the old town near the south bank of the Arno
Church of San Pietro in Vinculis (San Pierino)

Church of San Pietro in Vinculis (San Pierino)

It is located near the Piazza della Berlina.
Church of San Ranierino

Church of San Ranierino

The small church, located near the Piazza del Duomo, originally stood at the southeast corner of the Field of Miracles with the façade facing west
Church of San Silvestro

Church of San Silvestro

The church was founded in the 12th century. In 1118 it was granted to Benedictine monks, and in 1331 to Dominican nuns
Church of San Sisto in Cortevecchia

Church of San Sisto in Cortevecchia

The church is the venue for the celebration of ''Lo die di Santo Sisto'', a memorable date in Pisan history
Church of San Torpè

Church of San Torpè

It is located in front of the Roman ruins known as
Church of San Vito

Church of San Vito

It has been rebuilt in the same spot as the old building destroyed by bombing, which in turn had replaced an older and larger church demolished in the late 18th century during work carried out on the river embankments
Church of Sant'Anna

Church of Sant'Anna

The church and the convent were erected in 1406 for a community of Benedictine nuns
Church of Sant'Antonio

Church of Sant'Antonio

It was founded in the early 13th century: its façade has recently been restored
Church of Santa Apollonia

Church of Santa Apollonia

The façade of this church was restored in October 2001
Church of Santa Caterina d'Alessandria

Church of Santa Caterina d'Alessandria

Catherine of Alexandria, the name of the girl that gave her name to the church, was a young girl who suffered martyrdom during persecutions by Maxentius, in the early 4th century
Church of Santa Cecilia

Church of Santa Cecilia

It was founded by Camaldolese monks in the early 12th century
Church of Santa Chiara

Church of Santa Chiara

The present church, adjoining Santa Chiara Hospital, was built in 1784 after the demolition of the original 13th-century building
Church of Santa Cristina

Church of Santa Cristina

Ii is a Romanesque church dating from the 11th century, as is attested by the small blind arches decorating the outside of the apse
Church of Santa Croce in Fossabanda

Church of Santa Croce in Fossabanda

In 2000 the church-monastery was converted into a hotel owned by the Commune of Pisa and run by the Fondazione Toniolo. The church is located near the Convention Centre
Church of Santa Maria del Carmine

Church of Santa Maria del Carmine

The church is located alongside Corso Italia, the main street of the city
Church of Santa Maria della Spina

Church of Santa Maria della Spina

The church is situated on the left bank of the Arno to the west of the Palazzo Gambacorti, and perhaps is one of the best-known of the smaller churches of Pisa
Church of Santa Marta

Church of Santa Marta

It was formerly known as Church of Santa Viviana in Suarta, from the name of the old quarter where it was located
Church of Santo Sepolcro

Church of Santo Sepolcro

Around the middle of the 12th century the architect Diotisalvi erected this octagonal monument for the Order of the Hospital of St. John
Church of Santo Stefano dei Cavalieri

Church of Santo Stefano dei Cavalieri

It was officiated on 7 July 1562: the interior preserves mementos, flags and lights taken away from Turkish and pirate ships during the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries
Church of SS Jacopo e Filippo in Orticaia

Church of SS Jacopo e Filippo in Orticaia

The Romanesque church dates from the 12th century but has been altered on several occasions
Church of the Madonna dei Galletti

Church of the Madonna dei Galletti

The present church was already in existence in the 13th century, but was rebuilt in the 18th century in the baroque style
Duomo - Volterra

Duomo - Volterra

The cathedral dedicated to the Assumption Mary was reconstructed in about 1120 on the site of a preexisting church dedicated to the Holy Mary
Pieve di San Martino - Palaia

Pieve di San Martino - Palaia

St. Martin’s church, currently being restored lies on the outskirts of the town on via della Pieve

Where

province, city, location

Check-in Date, Check-out Date

Accommodation in Pisa
Eating Out in Pisa
DOG ADV LTD - VAT: GB178644759 - Company Number: 8733435