The Borgo Stretto arcades open onto the parvis of the Church of San Michele in Borgo. Built between the 10th and 11th centuries, apparently on a pre-existing temple dedicated to Mars, the church, like other religious buildings in Pisa, exemplifies the passage from Pisan Romanesque to Gothic.
The façade, by Fra Agnelli, is pierced by three portals overhung by a tabernacle, several tiers of arches and a rose window. The interior, divided into a nave and two aisles by columns and pillars, preserves various works of art. The church was rebuilt after the bombing of 1944, which spared the façade and the apse.