Santa Cristina is a Romanesque church dating from the 11th century, as is attested by the small blind arches decorating the outside of the apse.
Originally dedicated to St. Bartholomew, its dedication was changed when it was chosen to preserve the relics of St. Christina. The façade has a common structure to other Pisan churches. The aisleless interior features the typical decoration of black and white stripes.
Hanging on the right wall is a replica of the wooden crucifix that in 1563 was moved to the chapel of St. Catherine's house in Siena. Before this crucifix St. Catherine received the stigmata while she was praying on 1 April 1375. To the right of the church stood the Casa Buonconti, where the saint spent several months writing letters inciting to the holy war.
Where: Lungarno Gambacorti - Pisa