The church of Santa Maria del Carmine and the adjoining monastery were built in 1325 by Carmelite friars who had abandoned their old premises in Barbaricina.
The building was enlarged in the 16th century and badly damaged by bombings during World War II. A small plaque marks the 2-metre level reached by the waters during the flood of 1869. The aisless interior is in 17th-century style. To the right of the high altar is a passage that leads to the 14th-century cloister, with two tiers of loggias dating from the 17th century.
Where: Piazza del Carmine - Pisa