The Church of Santa Marta was formerly known as Church of Santa Viviana in Suarta, from the name of the old quarter where it was located and in commemoration of the old church that at the time was located in the present-day Via Bibbiana.
The Dominican man of letters Domenico Cavalca had it built in 1334 together with the adjoining convent, occupied by Dominican nuns until 1789. The church underwent profound change in the mid-18th century, particularly in terms of its shape and orientation.
The aisleless Baroque interior is regarded as one of the richest and most agreeable to be found in Pisan churches. The large painted crucifix on the high altar has been attributed to the Pisan school of the 13th century.
Where: Via Santa Marta - Pisa