The Hotel Victoria Tower House rising at the back of Hotel Victoria is only visible from the inner courtyard of the hotel. The building had a rectangular plan and rooms that, on the lower floors, were probably characterized by wooden balconies running along all four sides.
This tower house is one of the oldest examples of medieval civil architecture in Pisa after the year 1000. It was located by the river and next to the early medieval fortifications of the city, and together with other tower houses defended the southern side of the ''Civitas''. The topography of the place was radically altered in the early 20th century as a result of the construction of the great Hotel Victoria, completed in 1916. Of all the old buildings that were in the area in the Middle Ages, only the 11th-century tower survived, incorporated with its brick annexe into the structure of the hotel.
Hotel Victoria is open for visits by school groups and simple enthusiasts, even without an appointment.