The large rectangular space of Piazza Santa Croce, created in front of the Franciscan basilica, was a result of the urban intervention of the second-half of the 14th Century and continues to reveal its medieval origins in many of the buildings situated along the perimeter of the piazza.
However, the two most famous buildings in the piazza date from a later time: Palazzo Cocchi-Serristori, originally adapted from a 14th century house completed by Baccio d'Agnolo around the end of the 15th century and Palazzo dell'Antella, which previously belonged to the Cerchi family, leaders of the Guelfi 'bianchi' party.
Dominating the entire piazza is the Basilica of Santa Croce, erected between 1294 and 1443 on the original site of a small Franciscan oratory. The new project was commissioned by Arnolfo di Cambio, the architect who was head of the municipality and who, immediately after, would be entrusted by the city to construct the new Duomo and Palazzo della Signoria.
Where: Piazza Santa Croce - Firenze