The Church of Saint Caterina was begun in 1226 and the belltower was added in 1340.
In the interior, there is a chapel dedicated to St Catherine, saint patron of the city. It was built in 1460 to store her preserved head, which is now kept in a gilded marble tabernacle on the altar. This is surrounded by frescoes showing Catherine in a state of religious fervour, painted by Sodoma in 1526. The marble pavement is attribuitee to Giovanni di Stefano.
Catherine experienced many of her visions and received her stigmata in the Cappella delle Volte at the west end oh the church. Here there is an uthenticated portrait of her by contemporary Andrea Vanni, dated around 1380.