The Parco Pubblico Sandro Pertini, was originally designed as a public garden, and was one of the first to be laid out in the whole of Europe.
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the area continued to be perceived and cared for as the 'decorous' symbol of upper-class Livorno.
It was gradually turned into a zoological garden, although the structures were far from adequate.
In the years leading up to World War II the zoo was already experiencing serious overcrowding and the caged animals were beginning to suffer as a result.
In 1940 the animals were moved en masse to the zoological gardens of Salsomaggiore, and the gardens were requisitioned by the allied command. In 1950 the 'parterre' returned to its original function as a public park and was subsequently enlarged with the addition of the adjoining piece of land formerly occupied by the Pirelli factory.
Ph: +39 0586 446608
1-15 April 10:00-19:00
16 April-15 September 10:00-20:00
16 September-15 October 10:00-19:00
16-31 October 10:00-18:00