Palazzo dei Priori was built in 1333, and from the late middle ages to the present day, has housed the highest magistrature of the town: it is now the seat of the organs and offices of the town council.
The via Ricasoli side bears the clearest traces of the original 14th century architecture; the facade and the characteristic tower (1337, with a clock from the following century) are the result of the numerous modifications and restorations carried out in the 15th and 16th centuries, as well as in the 17th century, following the disastrous collapse of the frontal part.
The last rebuilding, carried out by Giuseppe Castellucci and Umberto Tavanti, dates back to 1930, and made significant changes both to its external appearance (castellations on the facade, the top of the tower) and to the internal organization of its rooms.
The interior contains a cortile with portico that dates back to the 16th century. Outside the portico, above which, on the upper floors, there are two galleries, recent building has created an actractive new entrance from via Montetini below.
Inside the ground floor hall (entrance in piazza della Libertà, door to the right) there is a "Madonna with Child and S.Donato" by Salvi Castellucci (1640), with an unusual view of 17th century Arezzo as its background.
Going up to the next floor, one should note the religious frescoes, the numerous portraits and busts of illustrious citizens of Arezzo distributed through the various rooms, the stone statue of the "Madonna with Child" (1339) (transferred from the demolished porta S. Spirito), the "Sala dei Matrimoni" (Hall of Weddings), with its 16th century stone fireplace, two paintings by Giorgio Vasari and twelve scenes from Aretine history in fresco by Teofilo Torri (1610), the "Sala del Consiglio", (Council Hall) with its 15th century fresco of the "Crucifixion" by Parri di Spinello and the portrait of Pietro Aretino.
From the last floor, which has recently been restored, one gains access to the tower.