The Museum of the Opera di Santa Croce is located next to the church of Santa Croce, one of the most extraordinary examples of Italian Gothic architecture with 14th century paintings, at a short distance of the famous Cappella dei Pazzi (around 1430) built by Brunelleschi.
The museum has been recently reopened after the very serious damage suffered during the flood of 1966. The museum exhibits several important Florentine works moved to this location from the church and the adjoining cloisters. The Refectory displays the large "Crucifix" by Cimabue (active 1272-1302) that was seriously damaged in 1966 and only partially restored. Despite its mutilation, the work confirms the high artistic level acquired by an artist who can be rightly enough considered the father of Western painting.
Detached frescoes by Taddeo Gaddi (1290 ca-1366) and Orcagna (14th century), discovered under the 16th century whitewash of the church, are displayed in the adjoining rooms, together with a series of important sculptures, featuring in particular some glazed terracottas from the Della Robbia studio and a remake of the "Tomb of Gastone della Torre" di Tino da Camaino (1280 ca-1337).
One of the most important works is undoubtedly the large gilded bronze statue featuring S. Lodovico di Tolosa, made by Donatello in 1423 to be fitted in one of the niches of Orsanmichele and commissioned by the Guelphs.
Ph: +39 055 2466105
Tickets: 5,00 euro. Combined ticket S. Croce- Museum S. Croce
Opening hours: Sundays - 1.00 pm - 5.30 pm
Weekdays - 9.30 am - 5.30 pm
Closed: December 25 and 26, January 1, Easter, June 13, October 4