The origins of the Volterra Art Gallery date back to 1842 when Luigi Fedra Inghirami, who worked in the cathedral, began to collect works of art from various churches and monasteries of the city wich had fallen in disuse. He gathered the work in the chapel of San Carlo which adjoins the cathedral.
In 1905, following a proposal by Corrado Ricci, a municipal art gallery was arranged on the second floor of the Palazzo dei Priori. The more significant works of art from the chapel of San Carlo were exhibited along with other pieces belonging to the city council and to various other institutions of Volterra. Since 1982 the Art Gallery or Pinacoteca has been housed in the Palazzo Minucci-Solaini, a splendid example of late-15th century architecture traditionally attributed to Antonio San Gallo the Elder.
Today the Art Gallery, which represents the most important section of the collection, is complemented by the Municipal Museum.
The scope of the latter is to conserve and exhibit important works of art belonging to institutions which are no longer able to provide adequate care. The Deposition by Rosso Fiorentino is the most significant work from the collection. Other important works in the collection are paintings by Taddeo di Bartolo, Alvaro Pirez and Cenni di Francesco, the Pietà by Francesco Neri of Volterra, a predella of the story of the Virgin by Benvenuto di Giovanni, two wooden sculptures by Francesco di Valdambrino, an altar piece of Christ in Glory by Domenico Ghirlandaio and the Holy Conversation and the Annunciation by Luca Signorelli from Cortona.
There are also noteworthy collections of medieval sculpture and ceramics, medals (especially the Medici collection) and coins.
The Art Gallery organizes conferences, seminars and temporary exhibitions in collaboration with other institutions, with particular attention to the city’s cultural heritage. The didactic activities, open to everyone, are in particular geared towards schools, offering students the opportunity to understand and analyze various artistic realities.
Opening hours: open every day (excl. 1/1 and 25/12)
Mar 16-Nov 1 9am-7pm
Nov 2-Mar1 8.30am-1.45pm
For further information: Ph.: +39 0588 87580