Rusellae was an ancient town of Etruria (nowadays Tuscany) and it was abandoned in the Middle Ages. The remains are situated in the frazione of Roselle in the comune of Grosseto.
The ruins are about 15 km southeast of Vetulonia and 8 km northeast of Grosseto. They are located on a hill with two summits, the higher of which is 194 m (636 ft) above sea level. One summit is occupied by a Roman amphitheatre, the other by a tower of uncertain date. Most of the remains are made of travertine, which was very commonly used as a building material, as it naturally splits into roughly rectangular blocks.
Rusellae was associated with the twelve cities of the Etruscan Confederation, but it was not part of the confederation. In 294 BC the Romans conquered Rusellae, which provided grain and timber for Scipio Africanus' fleet. Afterwards, either the Triumviri or Augustus founded a colony there.
The place was deserted in 1138, consequently the episcopal see was moved to Grosseto, which is now the capital of the province with the same name.
Roselle area is nowadays a cultivated area and the ruins themselves are now thickly overgrown, apart from the walls which are well preserved. They are embanking walls, nearly 2 miles in circumference, with a low breastwork in places, made up of irregular travertine blocks.
There are also a Roman Cistern and Roman Remains in the southern zone of Roselle where there is a thermal bath nowadays.
The Grosseto Art and Archaeology Museum hosts a section which is completely dedicated to the archaelogical site of Rusellae.
Nov-Feb: 8:30am - 5:30pm
Mar-Apr/Sep-Oct: 8:30am - 6:30pm
May-Aug: 8:30am - 7:00pm
Full price: € 4,00
Reduced price: € 2,00 (people under 18 or over 65)
For further information:
Tel.: +39 0564 402403