Malgrate Castle dominates the valley of Bagnone River near Villafranca in Lunigiana - Massa Carrara.
Its dominating position was important in order to control the routes from the Apennines, Cisa and Garfagnana.
The first building of the castle was erected in 1200s by the Malaspina family of Filattiera. The fortifications were erected in the 14th century in order to empower the castle and from then to the 17th century, the Marchesi Malaspina owned and controlled the territory.
The castle was also used as a residence in 1641, when the central body of the complex was transformed into a palazzo around the tower, by the Marquises Ariberti of Cremona.
After the XVIIIth century the castle was abandoned and then restored.
The castle still has its Medieval appearance with a trapezoidal shaped walled curtain with guelphs crenellation, loopholes, leaning turrets, wall walks and tower keep still gifted with machicoulis. On the western side of the castle walls the gate opens towards the village, onto a road that leads into the main square.
For further information:
Tel.: +39 0187 494400/ +39 0187 409077 (summer)
Web site: www.comunevillafrancainlunigiana.it