The Roman Villa delle Grotte is situated in the Gulf of Portoferraio, on Elba Island - Livorno, and it dates back to the 1st century BC.
The Villa was built in "opus reticulatum" and it also had an ornamental pool, stretching towards the sea with a heating and a cycling sistem.
The central nucleus of the villa was built along a central axis composed by the pool, which was probably surrounded by a garden. A small granite pier was found in the promontory cove and archaeologists thought it might have worked as a berth for docking boats and ships, in order to get to the Villa.
The Villa was partially destroyed to make room for artillery batteries during the conflicts between France and the Kingdom of Naples from 1799 to 1801.
Visiting time table:
From Easter to September 30th, every day 8 am-8 pm.
For further information:
Tel.: 0565 937111
Web site: www.aptelba.it