It sits on a hill (368 meters) near the town, towards Cortona. It was built in the 12th century on a previous settlement from the Xth and XIth centuries. In the beginning of 1200, Montecchio became a Municipality. In 1289, following the battle of Campaldino, with Castiglione it sided with Florence and in 1344, with Perugia. Successively, the Florentine Republic conceded the castle to the captain of good fortune, John Hawkwood (Giovanni Acuto) as compensation for services rendered. The high tower was raised in the decade (1382-1393ca.) when the castle belonged to Acuto.
At his death Montecchio returned to the Florentines. About halfway through the 16th century, its strategic importance having diminished, it was given to private families. In 1641, it was designated marquisate by the Capponi family. In the Leopoldino period, at the end of the 1700s, the population moved to the valley and the homes within the castle were destroyed.
The enclosing walls, made of sandstone, are protected by eight guard towers. Inside, the following are still visible: the Casseretto, connected to the walls by two curtain walls; the square-shaped tower, about thirty meters high; the tower house of the “Tribunal” and two houses resting on the north-west walls.
Open: Saturday from 10-12