The first pieces of news regarding the Chiesa di Sant'Angelo, this architectural complex date back to 1162, the year in which the church is cited in a Diploma by Federico Barbarossa. In 1325, when the bishop Guido Tarlati conquered the city, the whole quarterdeck zone was transformed into a fort, destroying all of the homes that were within the enclosing walls. It was only in 1532 that talk of this complex being destined for worship re-arose; in fact, it was granted in use to the sisters of S. Girolamo. Notable modifications to this structure took place around this time, such as the change in the orientation of the Church and the construction of the Coro delle monache (1548). It was during this occasion that the first traces of Etruscan materials were found inside of the Cassero. The inside, (1500s style), consists of a single nave; the main altar, made of local sand stone, dates back to 1622 and is the work of Filippo Berrettini. Following the Leopoldian suppression of the convents in 1785, the Church was then used in different ways: as hospital, cellar (under the French government), and work yard.
Currently, the Church of S. Angelo is in the itinerary of the “Pinacoteca Comunale,” in which there are pieces of notable artistic interest: it is a collection consisting of pieces of sacred art with important paintings dating from the 13th to the 17th century, and rare items of medieval jewellery. The jewellery exhibited in the old vestry, includes works such as the Croce Santa from the 1200s manufactured in France, donated to Brother Mansueto by the King Louis IX of France; there is also the bust of Sant’Orsola from the beginning of the 14th century, made in gold plated silver and decorated with enamel. In the section dedicated to painting there is a painted Cross (beginning of 1200s), S. Francesco by Margarito d’Arezzo (13th century), a fragment of a Maestà from the 1300s by Taddeo Gaddi (1328 ca.), San Michele Arcangelo (1480 ca.) and the Stigmate di San Francesco (1486) a work by Bartolomeo della Gatta. There are also pieces of art by painters from the Florentine school of the 1500s, and l’Estasi di Santa Teresa (1723) by Giandomenico Ferretti.
From April to October 10am-12:30pm – 4pm-6:30pm (holidays and pre-holidays 4-7 pm)
From November to March: Morning 10am-12:30pm Afternoon 3:30-6 pm
For further information:
Ph. +39 0575.657466