The Leaning Tower Pisa is a huge column formed by several blind arcades on the base and six light logge that repropose the same motif of the Dome's Absis.
The Bell Tower's building began in 1173 maybe under the guidance of Gerardo di Gerardo.
The tower started leaning at the fourth storey so its building was interrupted for more than one century, from 1185 to 1275, and continued by Giovanni di Simone.
The Tower was completed only in the second half of 14th century, at the hand of Tommaso Pisano: the Tower was 55 metres high.
The Tower, now high 56 meters, is constituted to its inside from an helicoidal scale of three hundred steps that brings to the bell cell from which yuo can enjoy a great view of the town and an evocative sight of Piazza dei Miracoli.
The base is formed by several blind arcades, while six orders of logge are rise upon. The structure is very elastic thanks to the natural interstices between the bricks: this facilitates its oscillation and resistance.
Its fomous slope was of 90 centimeters already to the end of the '200. In 1992, when the slope measured nearly 3 meters, important jobs have been started: concluded at the end of 2001, allowing therefore the public to approach newly through the spiral scale, with its 294 steps, to the top of the tower.
The restoration and consolidation works, beyond to compact the ground so as to to reduce the water infiltrations, has reduced the slope of the bell tower of 39,6 centimeters.
Phone Number: (+39) 050 560547 - Opera della Primaziale
Fax: 050 560505 - Opera della Primaziale
From 14 June to 15 September evening opening: 20.30-23.00
Price: € 15,00
Price online booking: € 17,00
For further informations: