The Monumental Churchyard has been for centuries the graveyard of the noble and eminent citizens.
Begun by Giovanni di Simone in 1278, it was completed in 1464.
It was seriously damaged because of the American bombardments during the second world war in 1944: for this reason the Camposanto has been mostly repaired, but the repair works caused the separation of the works of art from the walls and the discovery of the sinopie.
The splendid frescoes that were conserved inside were seriously damaged by the bombs: the "Triumph of Death"attributed to Buonamico Buffalmacco and works by Spinello Aretino, Andrea from Florence, Piero di Puccio and many others.
The difficult work of restoration brought to light the sketches coaches of these great works, today conserved in the Museum of the Sinopie.
The walls are empty and the floor consists of well tombs. The pure lines of the pisano's Romanic style denote gotic superimpositions; the wide quadriportico in the inside recalls the features of an imposing non covered basilica.
Finished in the second half of XV century, it was added by the Caphel Dal Pozzo stand by a dome.
Between numerous artistic works you can find roman sarcophagi, graves, inscriptions and funerals monuments belonging to various ages.
Phone: (+39) 050 560547 - Opera Della Primaziale
Fax: (+39) 050 560505
From November to February: 9.00-16.30;
From March to October: 9.00-17.30;
From April to September: 8.00-19.30
Price: Euro 5,00
Cumulative Ticket (Cattedrale, Museo del Duomo, Camposanto, Battistero): Euro 10,50
For further informations:
Opera Primaziale Pisana
Web Site: www.opapisa.it