It has been reopened in 2001 after three years'' restoration work.
The small church was known in the Middle Ages as Church of San Salvatore in Porta Aurea, now no longer extant.
The current name dates from 1640, when the ''Madonna and Child'', a fresco by the Sienese painter Taddeo di Bartolo coming from the house of the Galletti family, was installed above the high altar. The present church was already in existence in the 13th century, but was rebuilt in the 18th century in the baroque style. The magnificent wooden ceiling is the work of Del Norcia; the façade was built by Ignazio Pellegrini. The aisleless interior has a small chapel on either side and is decorated with delightful polychrome marbles and five sacred canvases.