The church is located next to the Bar La Borsa.
The church was part of a convent of Dominican nuns. Both were built in 1395 and donated by Pietro Gambacorti, Prince of Pisa, to his daughter Chiara, whose bones were discovered by the high altar.
Later on the church was entrusted to the Military Order of Malta. The church and the convent were almost completely destroyed by bombings during World War II. The church has long been closed to worship. It was reopened only in 1998. The facade that has remained intact is built of verrucana stone, with a canopied portal and double lancet windows.
The frescoes depicting the Blessed Clare that decorated the interior have unfortunately been destroyed.