The church has recently been the object of public attention for the opening of the purported tomb of Count Ugolino.
In May 2002 restoration work was carried out on the fresco cycle ''Stories of Mary'', by the Sienese painter Taddeo di Bartolo. The frescoes decorate the chapel of the same name, which has recently become the sacristy of the church.
Tradition has it that the church was erected following St. Francis preaching in Pisa around the year 1211. It is a fact that a first Franciscan building was actually erected by Agnello and Alberto, two Pisan followers of the saint.
The church is built in the typical Franciscan style, characterized by simple lines, ''poor'' materials and large size (18 metres by 70 metres).
Worthy of note is the hanging bell tower, resting on two sides of the nave and supported by two large stone brackets. In 1899 parts of the building -now housing a school- became the seat of the Municipal Museum.
The inner cloister is open to parishioners. The church preserves 17th-century paintings and parts of the original stained glass windows.
Piazza San Francesco, 4 - Pisa