Chiesa della Badia, built by Benedictine monks in the 13th century and dedicated to the Saints Flora and Lucilla, opens out onto the restored Piazza della Badia, the seat of the Poste granducali from the 17th century to part way throught thr 19th.
In the mid-16th century, the building was completely redone according to a project by Vasari.
The current facade is the result of a questionable early 20th century restoration of Romanesque-Gothic inspiration. The great mullioned window, part of the portal and the side facing via Cavour are original.
The characteristic octagonal campanile dates back to 1650. The manneristic interior shows the hand of Vasari; the main dome, an illusion created by false perspective on canvas, is the work of Andrea Pozzo (1702).
To the left of the entrance, there is a fresco of S.Lorenzo of considerable interest, by Bartolomeo della Gatta (1476). On the right, there is a grandiose Cricufix painted on wood by Segna di Bonaventura (1319), and near high altar, which is made of wood and was originally built by Vasari for the Pieve of S.Maria there is a marble ciborium attributed to Benedetto da Maiano.
For further informations:
Ph: +39 0575356612