Church of San Domenico was founded in 1275, and finished at the beginning of the 14th century. This Gothic basilica dominates the singhtly sloping back-drop of piazza S. Domenico.
This is one of the most suggestive parts of the town, which can easily be reached from the north side of the walls. The building has been subjected to questionable reshapings and restorations through the ages. There is a romanesque portal on the characteristic facade and the pronaos was redone in the century. Two 14th century bells hang in the bell-gable.
The interior has one nave and a trussed roof and is decorated with (unfortunately rather deteriorated) 14th and 15th century frescoes by Aretine and Sienese artists (Crucifixion by Parri di Spinello). The Crucifix of the main altar, a masterpiece by the young Cimabue (circa 1265), is of great interest. On the wall to the right, there is the Dragondelli chapel (1370), the one of the original shrines left since their replacement with large altars in the 16th century.
To the left of the church, there is the entrance to the attached monastery, which, in the middle ages, was the seat of the Aretine Studium.
For further informations:
Ph: +39 057522906