Cattedrale di San Donato is an impressive Gothic construction, which was begun at the end of the 13th century and continued, with several interruptions, until the beginning of the 16th.
Its bulk dominates the top of the hill of Arezzo and rises up above all the views of the town. The unfinished facade was realized according to a design by Dante Viviani at the beginning of the 20th century.
The 14th century Romanesque-Gothic portal on the right hand side is flanked by two porphyry column stumps left over from an earlier (perhaps Roman) building; in the lunette, there is a group in terracotta (Madonna with child between S.Donato and Gregorio X) from the end of the 14th century.
The campanile was erected half way throught the 19th century next to the polygonal apse. The spire is 20th century.
The majestic interior is divided into a nave and two aisles by tall polystyle pilasters, which, together with the ogival arches, confer on it the impression of a strong upward movement. The stained glass windows, which are mostly by Guillaume de Marcillat (16th century) are remakable; the Gothic sepulchre of Gregorio X (14th century) and the Tarlati chapel in the right-hand aisle (1334) are also noteworthy. Above the main altar there is the ark of S.Donato, by 14th century Aretine, Sienese and Florentine artista, and, in the left-hand aisle, there are precious fresco of Maria Maddalena by Piero della Francesca and the Funerary monument of Guido Tarlati (1330).
The large chapel of the Madonna del Conforto, which dates back to the end of the 18th century, contains tarracottas by the Della Robbias.
The Diocesan Museum and the Capitular Archivies area attached to the Cathedral.
For further informations:
Ph: +39 057523991