Built on the basis of plans drawn up by the Florentine rationalist architect Italo Gamberini, the Centre for Contemporary Art Luigi Pecci was founded in 1988 in memory of the son of the Industrialist Enrico Pecci, with contributions by the city administration, various companies, business people and private citizens.
It is active internationally, with a wide program of temporary exhibitions, didactic activity, documentation and information, multimedia events and performances.
It furthermore has an important permanent collection consisting of works by major artists over the past 30 years, aquired as a testimony to exhibitions held and research carried out at the museum. The museum complex, which includes the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Centre of Information and Documentation/Visual Arts, the Education Department and the Events Section, consists of exhibition rooms, various spaces for concurrent exhibitions, didactic workshops, the centre of information and documentation with its specialist library, bookshop, auditorium, conference room, bar, open air theatre, sculpture garden and exhibition room for the permanent collection.
The project to design the new Centre for Contemporary Art was given to the Florentine architect Italo Gamberini (1907-1990) in 1981.
Gamberini was an exponent of Tuscan rationalism, whose manifesto work is the train station of S. Maria Novella in Florence, designed in 1933 by Giovanni Michelucci but which was in fact the thesis project of the youthful Gamberini. He later went on to work for a long period as a professor at the University of Florence and to design a number of important buildings, including the regional headquarters of the RAI in Florence. Building work on the museum in Prato began in 1985 and was completed in 1988, the year it was inaugurated.
The main building - with a low, apparently U-shaped layout closed off by the tiers of seating of the open-air theatre - is the fulcrum of a complex of buildings to which the museum is directly connected by means of a covered tunnel leading to the Visual Arts/IDC, the Graphic Arts rooms and the offices. The rectilinear building that delimits the part of the museum running parallel to Viale della Repubblica houses, amongst other things, in a large, sunken, multi-purpose space next to the hotel, the new centre for the Permanent Collection. This has been built to the project of the architects Alberto Bacchi and Tiziano Sarteanesi, who also designed the Palazzo Albizzini Foundation - Burri Collection at Città di Castello.
The various building units are bound together by a green area in which are sited large sculptures belonging to the collection, by a number of internal roads and pedestrian paths, and by a large open-air car park. The museum building is on three floors, with alternating symmetrical and asymmetrical, rationalist and organic forms: in the basement there is a private car park and a storage area; the ground floor houses the reception area, conference room, Education Department workshops, the bar/restaurant and the auditorium; and on the first floor, besides the entrance and the tunnel leading to the Visual Arts/IDC, there is the library, the ticket office and the asymmetrical chessboard of the 10 inter-communicating exhibition rooms.
10:00 am-7:00 pm
Closed on Tuesday
For further informations:
Ph: +39 05745317
Fax: +39 0574531901