The Brunella Fortress stands in a strategic position on a hill over the town of Aulla, where the rivers Magra and Aulella meet.
The date of construction is open to conjecture, as is the identity of the proprietors, despite the fact that the building corresponds to the architectural standards typical of the age of transition: the first hypothesis dates the building to the end of the 15th century and attributes the project to Jacopo Ambrogio Malaspina, who was lord of Aulla at that time, the second hypothesis claims the fortress was built by Giovanni dalle Bande Nere, who came to Aulla in the first quarter of the 16th century, and may have entrusted Antonio da Sangallo il Vecchio with the project. A third hypothesis identifies the consigner of the work as Adamo Centurione, a merchant from Genoa who became the owner of the estate of Aulla in 1543.
The layout of the building is quadrangular with large angular hip rafters around the keep. This has various environments on two levels. The whole complex is surrounded by an impressive outer wall characterized by a wide scarp and it was transformed into a residence in the early years of the last century.
After the state bought the property it was completely restructured.
It is currently the home of the Natural History Museum of Lunigiana, and it is surrounded by a natural park of notable interest.
© Copyright: www.aptmassacarrara.it
How to reach: Motorway A15 La Spezia-Parma exit Aulla A-road 62 Cisa Railway Station: Aulla; with public transport: CAT, toll free number 800223010
For further informations:
Tel: +39 0187 400252/409077