Art and archaeology museum was established thanks to an ecclesiastic, Giovanni Chelli, an intellectual and open-minded man.
The first nucleus of the museum was born accidentally when he started putting together some old objects in the library, which had been opened to public in March 1860 by Chelli himself. At the same time he had already started collecting archaeological finds on purpose.
In 1923 another ecclesiastic held the office of director of Chelliana library, of civic museum and of a picture gallery. His name was Antonio Cappelli. Firstly he moved to those premises which are still the official premises of the library (the museum shared the same structure until 1955).
Archaeology was just one of Cappelli's many interests. While he was running the library, the museum and the picture gallery, he developed a deep interest in sacred art, therefore he opened a museum of sacred art in August 1933, using partly new and partly restored premises.
Only in 1975 both museums shared the same structure, a late 19th century building located in Piazza Baccarini, which was previously occupied by the tribunal, opened that year during the National Conference of the Institute for Etruscan and Italic studies.
In January 1992, museum was closed again for restoring. It was reopened the 21st of May 1999, after renewal, enriched by new acquisitions from recent excavations.
Free entrance (under 6 years of age)
1 euros (school classes and teachers)
Residents Grosseto, under 18 years of age, university students, senior citizen, military personnel, groups of 20 or more 2,5 euros
Free entance (clergymen, only for the Museum of the Diocese)
From November the 1st to February the 28th
Saturday and Sunday 9:00-13:00/16:00-18:00
From March the 1st to April the 30th
From May the 2nd to October the 30th
Closed on Monday, December the 25th, January the 1st and May the 1st
For further informations:
Tel: +39 0564488750
Fax: +39 0564488753