Tuscanypass.com
You are here: home » where to go » arezzo » monte san savino

Monte San Savino, Arezzo

Other Cities (open/close)

Description Photogallery HistoryAttractionsMap

Monte S.Savino - Arezzo

The “Monte” through the centuries

Monte San Savino was already an Etruscan village when it was fortified in Roman times around a castle that was then called Area Alta. In the thirteenth century Monte San Savino passed under dominion of the Ubertini family, the lords of Arezzo. The town walls were pulled down in 1325 by the Ghibelline bishop of Arezzo Guido Tarlati as a punishment for the town having taken side with the Guelphs, who were supported by Florence.

Monte San Savino was once more inhabited by 1337 and passed first under the rule of Perugia, then under the dominion of Siena and finally in 1384 under Florence’s. The duke of Tuscany Cosimo de’ Medici granted Baldovino del Monte (brother of Pope Julius III whose family came from Monte San Savino) the feudal holding of Monte San Savino in 1550. By the same act the town was conferred autonomy of jurisdiction and the status of county. Subsequently, the feudal holding passed on to the Marquis Orsini (until 1640), then to Mattias de Medici (until 1667) – who was grand duke Ferdinando II’s brother - and finally to Vittoria della Rovere, the grand duke’s wife, until her death in 1694. In 1748 the town returned stably under direct authority of the Tuscan state. For two centuries Monte San Savino was home to a thriving Jewish community, until its dispersion in 1799 due to the “Viva Maria” Sanfedista movement.

Monte San Savino is the birthplace of famous sculptor and architect Andrea Sansovino (†1529).

EVENTS IN AREZZO

Where

province, city, location

Check-in Date, Check-out Date

Nearby Eating Out
Nearby Attractions
Castello di Gargonza - ...
Palazzo dei Priori
Church of San Domenico
DOG ADV LTD - VAT: GB178644759 - Company Number: 8733435